My family and I just returned home from a wonderful trip to Disneyworld. I have traveled the world but incredibly never to see Mickey.
After about 3 days of winding down via Disney immersion I could not help but put my marketer’s hat back on. One of the first things that struck me was the crowds of people. “What recession?” We spent at $5,000 including airfare for 5 days at Disney (for a family of 4). Which seems about average from talking to friends. So we have thousands upon thousands of families during tough economic times spending a significant amount of money on a few days of entertainment. How does Disney do it?
Lessons we can learn from Disney:
1) Create a unique customer experience – Do what others can’t
2) Make buying easy – Reduce the steps in you sales process
3) Spread the word – Use blogs, email and social media
4) Generate excitement – Do something fun for your team
5) You can still charge a premium – Premium services=Premium prices
Don’t get dragged down by current economic challenges and let it control you and your firm. There are great opportunities for all of us in 2009! Think about new ideas to create new experiences for your customers and then spread the word.
All the best,